[rfc] time to switch to Launchpad reviews

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Fri Apr 24 17:42:22 BST 2009

2009/4/24 John Arbash Meinel <john at arbash-meinel.com>:
> ^- As in, Launchpad doesn't crash as often? Do we know if the email
> interface gets as easily confused as the bug submission one? (I often
> have new at bugs... give me failure bounces because I get some sort of
> syntax wrong.)

One difference regarding reliability is that Launchpad is more
monitored and has more people who can bring it back up if there is a
problem (such as thousands of people trying to get Jaunty cds
yesterday. :-)

>> Bundle Buggy advantages

I think we can turn most of these into bugs and they will be handled
reasonably quickly.

>> - Maps tightly to Bazaar project's workflow
>>  - merge request status is determined fully automatically

Should be done in lp.

>>  - no need for public branches

I thought you could send it a merge proposal and

>> - Can represent a cherrypick (e.g. submitting multiple threads from a
>>   loom in parallel)
>> - Integrates cleanly with existing mailing lists
>> - Accepts patches
>> - Nicer email command syntax
>> - Autodetection of superseded merge requests

>  - Provides a nice 'this patch has landed' message
>  - Already sorts into my 'bzr' folder because the mail goes to the same
>   list. I tried looking at the headers and found:

> ^- Might be enough to sort on, though I'm guessing

> ^- again a maybe, doesn't seem particularly great (mabye everything in
> X-Launchpad-Branch:.*/bzr/.* ?

That's probably how you should filter it.

> To: John A Meinel <john at arbash-meinel.com>
> ^- All emails from LP are sent *directly* to me, and not to a generic
> group (~bzr).

I think I filed this as a bug and jml agreed.

> From: Martin Pool <mbp at sourcefrog.net>
> Subject: [Merge] lp:~mbp/bzr/trivial into lp:bzr
> Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 13:40:20 -0000
> Sender: bounces at canonical.com
>
> ^- Not much here to filter on.
>
> Any ideas?

You should probably file a bug for that too.  In particular it should
provide a List-Id so gmail can filter on that.

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>