[MERGE][bug 248932] reconfigure --standalone creates incompatibe repository

Martin von Gagern Martin.vGagern at gmx.net
Thu Apr 23 16:05:55 BST 2009

Martin von Gagern wrote:
> Find attached a draft towards fixing bug #248932
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr/+bug/248932
>
> Problem: reconfigure --standalone creates repositories of default type,
> which may differ in rich root support, among others.
> Solution: Instead the new repository should use the same format as the
> original shared repository, imho.

The attached patch contains a blackbox test and a solution to the
problem. Of course, there are always things to be improved, like
deleting the new repo if anything fails, but I'd like to take this in
small steps. The patch should fix a problem, not introduce a new one,
and thus be ready for merging.

Sadly, the draft I posted here before didn't see the discussion I had
hoped for on this list. The only answers I got were on IRC.

Lifeless there gave me some code snippet to create a repository of a
given format. With that, I have to access Repository._format as the only
"private" (i.e. starting with an underscore) variable, and lifeless said
that's OK as long as it's in bzrlib and gets upgraded as needed. He also
pointed out some extra code required to deal with tags, which is
disjoint from both this bug and this patch, so I'll submit that
separately in a moment.

The day I submitted my original draft patch on this list here, Jelmer
wrote on IRC that some helper function might be useful, in order to
share code between "bzr reconfigure" and "bzr upgrade", as both have to
create a repository compatible to a given one. However, bzr upgrade is
likely to want a different format, whereas expected behaviour for "bzr
reconfigure" should be not to change the format, both according to my
own opinion and a quick poll on IRC. Thus I see little to gain here.

Greetings,
 Martin von Gagern