History editing (Was: Will re-basing support be added into Bazaar core?)

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 13:30:37 BST 2009

2009/4/20 Ian Clatworthy <ian.clatworthy at internode.on.net>:
> Paul Moore wrote:
>> would that change be accepted (assuming the end result was clean!)? Or
>> would the nature of the intermediate commits be an issue?
>
> Yes. We review the *overall* patch diff, not the individual steps used
> to get there.
[...]
> Again, none of us care if you use rebase or not to create a submission.
> All submissions land via PQM merges so we know that the *mainline* of
> bzr.dev is always clean w.r.t. passing the test suite.

Ah! So that's what the business of levels in the history log and
mainlines and all that stuff is about! It never registered with me
that the bzr concept of history looked like this.

That explains a lot about how people view things. And it's probably a
more significant difference between the various different DVCS than
I'd realised. There's quite a lot of implications to that which I'll
have to ponder...

Thanks for the explanation.
Paul.