[MERGE/RFC] Userdoc Driven Design on the Bazaar 2.0 UI

Robert Collins robert.collins at canonical.com
Fri Apr 17 01:56:35 BST 2009

On Thu, 2009-04-16 at 12:50 +0200, Marius Kruger wrote:
> hi,
>
> 2009/4/16 Robert Collins <robert.collins at canonical.com>:
> >> 2. a branch could reuse the repository of a dependent branch
> >>    without needing to explicitly create a shared repo in a parent
> >>    directory.
> > We can have a list of branches in the repository - we currently have
> > that by 'ls -lR' under the repository - its the 'branches are contained'
> > rule. This is important because it means a repository can reason about
> > what data is transient and removable, and what is used. Jelmer's
> > colocated branches plugin is a way of extending this without adding
> > directories where a user has their source code.
>
> I think using colocated branches should be the default i.e.
> the user should not have to think about repositories for most use cases.
> They should be able to just branch from trunk and if one day they
> need to make a separate branch/line-of-development they should be able
> to branch it in-place and switch the working tree between the branches.

This would require colocated branches to be sharing a repository; which
is indeed one of the options. It is a form of making repositories
semantic objects - because you'd have a 'collection of branches' concept
where you had these colocated branches on - a rose by any other name is
still a rose.

I think something with many of the characteristics of the
colocated-branches plugin is likely needed, but the colocated-branches
plugin adds complexity [which impacts performance, testing, reliability,
and documentation] in order to provide its UI - we should be aiming to
reduce complexity.

Rob