bzr-svn: need help using 'dpush' instead of 'commit'

Russel Winder russel.winder at concertant.com
Wed Apr 8 11:43:15 BST 2009

Tino,

I think it is all working exactly as it should . . .

On Wed, 2009-04-08 at 12:24 +0200, Tino Lange wrote:
[ . . . ]
> To illustrate in the FAQ example:
>
> > bzr init-repo --rich-root-pack beagle-repo
> > cd beagle-repo
> > bzr checkout svn+ssh://svn.gnome.org/svn/beagle/trunk beagle-trunk

Your local Bazaar branch is a checkout of the Subversion repository and
so it bound to it.  This means local actions cause immediate remote
actions and push and dpush are effectively no-ops.

> > cd beagle-trunk
> > (hack, hack, hack)
>
> What to do now instead of
>
> > bzr commit -m "blah blah blah"
> > (hack, hack, hack)
> > bzr commit -m "blah blah blah"

Because this is a bound branch (aka checkout) the commits cause
immediate updates to the remote Subversion repository as well as to the
local Bazaar branch.
> as
>
> > bzr dpush svn+ssh://svn.gnome.org/svn/beagle/trunk beagle-trunk
> > (hack, hack, hack)
> > bzr dpush
>
> simply seems to do nothing?

Correctly so as there are no commits in the local branch that are not
already in teh remote repository.

If you take a branch rather than a checkout, or unbind the checkout so
it becomes a branch you will see very different behaviours.

BTW There is doubt about the future of dpush which brings into doubt the
future of Bazaar as a Subversion client that does not put Bazaar
metadata into the repository.
--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder                 Partner

Concertant LLP          t: +44 20 7585 2200, +44 20 7193 9203
41 Buckmaster Road,     f: +44 8700 516 084    voip:  sip:russel.winder at ekiga.net
London SW11 1EN, UK.    m: +44 7770 465 077    xmpp: russel at russel.org.uk