[MERGE] Hide the transport direction in the progress bar if it is unknown.

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Tue Apr 7 09:26:08 BST 2009

On Tue, 07 Apr 2009 10:15:51 +0200
Vincent Ladeuil <v.ladeuil+lp at free.fr> wrote:

>     Jelmer> At the moment Bazaar will show a question mark in the
>     Jelmer> progress bar if the direction of data transfer is not
>     Jelmer> known.  This seems like a waste of space, and may be
>     Jelmer> confusing to users.
>
> Hiding information may be confusing too.
>
>     Jelmer> The attached patch simply makes Bazaar not show any
>     Jelmer> information about the direction of the data if it is
>     Jelmer> not known.
>
> We still show a rate, I'd rather prefer you use 'X' which may be
> interpreted as: "'>' or '<' we don't really know'.
>
> "Something" is happening, not nothing.

I'd agree with using an X over a question mark.  It looks better than
either >< or ?, I think, and is (somewhat) intuitive.

I may have missed this, but why not use something like:

  ↑ - Upload
  ↓ - Download
  ⇅ - Unknown

On sane systems, and fall back to >, <, and X on systems that cannot
display Unicode?

	--- Mike