Bazaar Workflow

马旋(SuperMMX) supermmx at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 15:20:17 BST 2009

Hi, Philippe Lhoste <PhiLho at GMX.net> :

On Sun, 05 Apr 2009 16:03:42 +0200
Philippe Lhoste <PhiLho at GMX.net> wrote:

> Additional remarks:
> - I use currently Bazaar mostly for small personal projects. At work, we
> have a rather large code base, managed with Perforce, which is a fine
> SCM (central workflow). That's why I wondered how usable is the "clone
> project for each small change/bug fix" method for such large code base,
> not to mention issues with IDEs (not easy to change paths on run
> configs, etc.).

Using only one lightweight checkout and switching between different branches
in a shared repository can solve this problem. Because you will have
only one working tree. And you don't need to change any path in your IDE.

> - Perforce allows to group changes (modified files) in changelists: so I
> can have some files opened for a feature implementation, and a couple of
> other changelists for various in progress bug fixes.
> - Bazaar doesn't have this (you don't have to check out a file before
> editing it, which is nice) but allows to select files to commit. A bit
> heavy handed on the command line (I would appreciate to have a file
> (listing files to commit) per task, and specify it at commit time), but
> I recall having seen a plugin using the commit file (opened if not
> giving a -m option) where you can select the files to commit.

I am using Emacs as my editor and there is vc-dir mode availabe to interact
with various Version Control tools, in which you can mark (select) severl
files and commit them only.

And sometimes I use commandline. In the project root, I will run "bzr status"
to get all the changed files, then you can just copy/paste the files you
want to commit as the bzr commandline options.

> Moreover, I am confused by the other answers telling you can't "merge
> with uncommitted changes in your local working copy.", I wonder what I
> did in my previous experiment. I should make more thorough tests (with
> conflicting edits?).

If you have uncommitted changes in your working tree, it is not in a
clean state to merge, because merging will change the working tree,
IMO, it is not that obvious to look at the merge result.

But you can give the option --force to force the merging, although
you can only commit them all in one, no partial commits.

- --
A. Because it makes the logic of the discussion difficult to follow.
Q. Why shoudn't I top post?
A. No.
Q Should I top post?

A: Because it destroys the flow of the conversation
Q: Why is it bad?
A: No, it's bad.
Q: Should I top post in replies to mailing lists?