[MERGE] Fix for bug 183831

Geoff Bache geoff.bache at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 22:23:47 BST 2009

On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 11:56 PM, Robert Collins
<robert.collins at canonical.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-04-02 at 23:48 +0200, Geoff Bache wrote:
>
>> > I am interested in helping people developing plugins do so safely and
>> > quickly, and also in helping people wanting to contribute to the core do
>> > so easily. We do have some tension between 'officially blessed' and 'J
>> > random' plugins; I'm not sure of the best route forward. Like Aaron I
>> > see value in having all the plugins present tested by default.
>> >

>> A bit of documentation can't do any harm can it? At least make people
>> who bother to read your "Guide to testing Bazaar" aware of this issue.
>
> Thats a very good point. As you suffered, perhaps you could put a few
> sentences forward, I'll happily review and land them.

Sure. I'd suggest something like the following could usefully be made
part of the "Running the tests" section.

'The Bazaar core developers make every effort to ensure that the test
suite will always succeed on branches that have not been locally
modified. However, "bzr selftest" will by default test with all
locally installed plugins and their tests, and
it is difficult to guarantee that these will always pass. Users with
experimental or unstable plugins installed need to be particularly
aware of this issue. To exclude plugins from the tests, you should run
"bzr --no-plugins selftest"'

Incidentally, I was amused to discover an extremely similar bug to
this one in Mercurial. (I'm in the fairly unique position of using
both Bazaar and Mercurial regularly). I'm now quite tempted to try and
send them a patch for that one too, just to compare and contrast the
experiences :) I'm just running their test suite on the latest
unmodified source and got this result:

# Ran 326 tests, 18 skipped, 2 failed.

I haven't got round to installing any plugins there yet. And 326 is a
bit of a different order of magnitude from 17000...

/Geoff