New 1.14 RC date?

Andrew Bennetts andrew.bennetts at canonical.com
Thu Apr 2 07:03:44 BST 2009

Matthew D. Fuller wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 02, 2009 at 01:54:07PM +1100 I heard the voice of
> Andrew Bennetts, and lo! it spake thus:
> >
> > Anyway, there's no such issue likely to arise from the brisbane-core
> > format; it doesn't add any new semantic capabilities, it's simply a
> > faster and smaller format.  I do not see any drawbacks for users
> > merely by the presence of this format in a hidden option that is
> > clearly sign-posted as experimental.
>
> My objection isn't to the presence, merely the timing.  Landing big,
> involved, long-coming changes into trunk is not the sort of thing you
> do the day before you split off a release branch.  It's the sort of
> thing you do the day AFTER.  Pushing BACK the date of the rc/branch in
> order to squeeze it in just compounds the sin.
>
> Anyway, isn't the whole point of having time-based releases that we
> don't HAVE to rush things in at the last minute, since the next
> release is only a month away anyway?

Sure, if we feel it is a very invasive change to bzr.dev then I'd be
reluctant to include it in 1.14 at this stage (not that it's my call).  I'm
not sure it is so invasive, mostly new format code tends to be well-isolated
from exising formats, and in fact many of the architectural changes have
already been landed.  But if it is likely to impact badly on supported
features, then I agree we should just wait.  I've already said this in my
first reply to this thread.

However, I don't think it should be left out merely because it is a
beta-quality format.

-Andrew.