New 1.14 RC date?

Andrew Bennetts andrew.bennetts at canonical.com
Thu Apr 2 03:54:07 BST 2009

Ben Finney wrote:
> Jelmer Vernooij <jelmer at samba.org> writes:
>
> > The development formats are clearly marked as such, and they're hard
> > to find if you're not looking for them. The places where you do come
> > across them explicitly mention that they're development formats and
> > why you shouldn't use them.
>
> As I said, I *wasn't* looking for it; it was suggested to me that a
> particular repository format could solve the problem I was having. (It
> didn't, for the record.) It never occurred to me that such a format
> might be in a released Bazaar, and yet be unsuitable for release, so I
> went ahead and tried it.

This sounds like a failure of the support conversation rather than of the
contents of a bzr release.  I'm sorry you got bad advice.

I'm *guessing* your issue was using a -subtree format, which was (and is) a
development format, because that's what bzr-svn used to require.  rich-root
formats were made to provide the feature that bzr-svn needed without the
experimental parts of subtree.

If so, the basic issue was the bzr-svn at the time required a development
format, so the early adopters of an in-development plugin also had to use a
in-development format.  Despite that pain (which I think was necessary), it
was greatly beneficial to bzr-svn to be able to with with the trunk of bzr,
rather than some obscure development branch.  These days our development
foramts always have “development” in their name to avoid any possible
end-user confusion.

Anyway, there's no such issue likely to arise from the brisbane-core format;
it doesn't add any new semantic capabilities, it's simply a faster and
smaller format.  I do not see any drawbacks for users merely by the presence
of this format in a hidden option that is clearly sign-posted as
experimental.

We've been through this process before with e.g. the 1.9 format, and no
users were harmed by it that I am aware of.  This policy is working just
fine, and I don't see any reason why we'd change it for landing
brisbane-core.  Relax, it won't bite you.

-Andrew.