[MERGE] 1.14 formats

Robert Collins robert.collins at canonical.com
Wed Apr 1 00:17:38 BST 2009

On Wed, 2009-04-01 at 00:36 +1000, Ian Clatworthy wrote:

> I'd like to suggest that we only bring out a *single* non-hidden
> gc-chk-based format in 1.14 and that we ought to call it
> 1.14-development (instead of developmentX). I guess we'll still
> have a hidden subtree one but let's not mention it.

The only thing I disagree on is the name. We have a floating format
alias 'development' (which we can remove if its not useful). Also we
chose -not- to use release markers for development formats because we're
not actually releasing them in that release. I'm open to us changing
that policy, but if we do please update the documentation and rationale
in development-formats.txt. That said, why do you want to change the
naming standard for dev formats.

> 1.14 would then ship with 3 new formats:
>
> * 1.14 - the normal one
> * 1.14-rich-root - for bzr-svn & bzr-git interop
> * 1.14-development - a preview of our next-gen format for early
> adopters.
>
> > BB:approve
>
> Thanks. I'll wait till the other core developers have had a chance to
> agree to releasing a 1.14 before merging.

+1 on the first two format names.

-Rob