Choosing a moment for the Bazaar switchover.

Robert Collins robert.collins at canonical.com
Tue Mar 31 23:38:08 BST 2009

On Tue, 2009-03-31 at 13:36 -0600, Jason Earl wrote:
>   Conversions are difficult and time consuming projects
> and the trick is to only do them once.  The last thing that I would
> want
> for the Emacs development community is to create a new repo in 0.92
> pack
> format and 6 months later have a version of bzr comes out that warns
> you
> to upgrade remote branches.
>
> The current default format of bzr is being phased out.  Saying that
> bzr
> is in a "state of flux" is probably kind.  Heck, I can't even do a
> conversion from git right now into the pack 0.92 format because
> fast-import is broken for that format.  I can, however, create a
> brisbane core repository.

Thats a shame, have you filed a bug about fast-import? [There isn't a
good reason that I know of for it to be broken].

> > NOTE: I think the Bazaar developers would like to know, too, so I've
> > set Reply-to on this mail to go to the Bazaar list.  The thread
> would
> > get off-topic for emacs-devel at this point anyway -- anyone who
> does
> > a follow-up-to-all, please take emacs-devel@ off the recipient list.
>
> Hopefully the bzr development team really did want to know about this.
> If not please excuse me.  I am a huge fan of bzr, and I really think
> that the project is on the right track.

Its really encouraging to hear this, particularly right after Python's
decision. We've been doing monthly releases for a long time now, and I
really like the rhythm it gets us, and the confidence to get things out
there for users [with a small caveat about things with persistence,
which I at least am more sensitive about].

I think that moving to bzr/0.92-pack would indeed be problematic for
emacs, as it would likely impose a painful performance overhead on
enough operations that we'd be getting hate mail :(. However, the 1.14
beta format should really be sufficient for final planning and analysis
for a migration.

-Rob