Last day to vote/reject on proposed EOL names

Alexander Belchenko bialix at ukr.net
Tue Mar 31 06:29:13 BST 2009

(Ian has asked me to repost this mail to the list)

Hi Ian,

I'd like to help you as much as I can with eol landing.

All recent discussion about user expectation is all the same I've got year ago.
It seems most people looking for ideal solution for this messy problem.
I see this as never ending story, and I really hate this situation.

My thoughts so far:

1) It seems like eol is more important for new users who decide switch or not to bzr from other
system (often from svn). They are first class users of this feature.

2) Ian's design supports existing repos with mixed eols -- it's good for existing users

3) but exisiting users already live without eols and somehow accommodate their development process.
may be they have switched from crlf to lf one day in the past and lost annotations (like me)
or don't care about annotations, or recreate their projects with lf-only -- it does not matter much.

After reading the mail from John Yates
(http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.bazaar-ng.general/55331) I think
bzr can provide following compromise solution (svn-like).

a) Expect that files stored in the repo have lf-only. Based on this bzr needs following filters/labels:

exact
native (native in wt, lf in repo)
crlf (crlf in wt, lf in repo)
lf (lf in wt, lf in repo)

This will satisfy most of the people who write their mails all day.

b) For poor souls (i.e. existing users, like me) there will be another additional option (only one)
to support "native in wt + crlf in repo". Other variants are not needed at all. People either
should use "exact" or relax and convert their files to lf, commit and then select appropriate option.

c) About eol = clean setting.

Some cautions should be done for special case: when there is file with crlf
committed and then user select native or crlf rule, bzr should detect this case to avoid cr
duplication. In fact your patch clearly address this problem and avoid of cr duplication.
I'm thinking in the case when in the repo committed crlf or mixed eols, your filter at least should
emit warning to the user, or don't apply filter at all.