[MERGE] integrated EOL conversion support

Matt Doran matt.doran at papercut.com
Mon Mar 30 06:19:01 BST 2009

Ian Clatworthy wrote:
> Matt Doran wrote:
>
> Repository format is important because:
>
> 1. It determines what gets checked out in the absence of any rules.
>
> 2. Projects have existing files with crlf committed and we don't want
>    to normalise all existing files to a single internal convention:
>    that would cause annotate and other commands grief because all
>    text files using something other than lf now would essentially
>    "reset" w.r.t who contributed what lines.

Fair enough, I think I need to digest this a bit more.  We make heavy
use of SVN and eol-style and I'm considering a transition to bzr.

What seems a little strange to me is that the EOL decision can be made
by each end-user through their local configuration.  It is flexible, but
is it too flexible? :)

I guess once there's a capability for branch or tree specific rules, you
could define a project policy for this.
> That patch has been abandoned for a new, more flexible approach. See
> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.bazaar-ng.general/51347.

Thanks for the pointer.  So this isn't implemented yet, but it's the
planned way forward?

I'm not very familiar with "branch.conf", but that doesn't seem to be a
versioned file.   Is there some way to provide versioned configuration
through this scheme to allow a project to mandate particular
rules/configuration?

Thanks,
Matt