[MERGE] log mainline only by default

Talden talden at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 02:17:03 GMT 2009

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 1:06 PM, Ian Clatworthy
<ian.clatworthy at internode.on.net> wrote:
> Matthew D. Fuller wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 03:01:41PM -0500 I heard the voice of
>> John Arbash Meinel, and lo! it spake thus:
>>> So you could do:
>>>     revno: 118 [merge use -n0 to see children]
>>
>> I would as soon see it at the end of the log for that rev; where the
>> merges would show up if they were shown.
>>
>> e.g.,
>> revno: 12345
>> [...]
>> message:
>>   Do stuff blac blah blah
>>     [6 merged revs elided: use -n0 to show]
>
> We know whether a revision is a merge or not by looking at the parent count.
> We don't know the *number* of merged revisions hidden though cheaply, i.e.
> we'd need to calculate the full graph to give the right number.
>
> Both --short and --line simply have [merge] included in the output.
> I think --long ought to do the same.
>
> If we want to say 'use -n0 to show merged revisions', we ought to do
> it for all formats, not just --long IMO.

I think showing mainline revisions only is correct and appropriate -
using an obscurely named option to get them back isn't.  --show-merges
should be an alias for -n0.  I know which one users will remember
better walking out of training.

So +1 for --long implying -n1 but add --show-merges to get back the
current "-n0" behaviour.

--
Talden