[rfc] linux pbuilder vs python virtualenv for testing?

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Tue Mar 24 23:44:10 GMT 2009

2009/3/24 Bob Tanner <tanner at real-time.com>:
> I've been using linux and pbuilder to make a pristine test environment for
> releases. It's works well. But is linux specific.
>
> Is is possible that someday the release manager won't be using linux?

I think it's highly possible - in fact it may already have happened,
as some of the core developers regularly use other systems.  It would
probably possible to do it on Cygwin though you might find some nits.

> I got to thinking about this and solving the this problem the python way. Is
> there value in documenting setting up a sandbox using virtualenv? It would
> be far more platform neutral.

It looks potentially useful.  Docs or a script that package and test
bzr inside it would be welcome.

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>