bzr 1.14 release schedule and manager

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 12:57:46 GMT 2009

Robert Collins, on 2009-03-20:
> Our previous experience is that folk don't differentiate between our
> formats well, so while we can say no guarantees, and don't-use-this,
> it isn't what happens. We pay a very high price when someone shoots
> themselves in the foot with pre-beta formats.

This may have to do with the fact that the Bzr reference does not
explain different formats and only gives rough guidelines.

I'd very much like to see these things documented better.  A couple of
suggestions regarding what appears to be missing from the documentation.

"bzr help current-formats" does not list what's recommended.  For
example, you told me today that "rich-root's are not the recommended
production format.".   The documentation does not explain what the
disadvantage of 1.9-rich-root would be.

The same text relies on non-user-level terminology.  I shouldn't need
to know about "dirstate tags". "rich-root" is not explained (only in
the reference), and I only understand from this that it's needed for
SVN interoperability.

What are the efficiency advantages of the formats?   I learned today
that some operations become unusably slow when they need to convert
between formats on the fly (and many revisions are present).  I wonder
if that applies to merges as well.  Similarly, stacked branches have
format requirements (1.9, isn't it).  Is that documented?

Generally: which guarantees / promises does the Bazaar project give
regarding future conversion between formats?