[rfc] news layout tweak (was Re: bzr 1.13 release manager wanted)

Matt Nordhoff mnordhoff at mattnordhoff.com
Fri Mar 6 08:51:34 GMT 2009

Martin Pool wrote:
> 2009/3/6 Martin Pool <mbp at sourcefrog.net>:
>>> Do I just pester developers for this information or do I get the privledge
>>> of scanning the logs for this info myself. :-)
>> It should all be in NEWS in the tree ready to go.  You just need to
>> add the date and header, and write a one-or-two paragraph summary of
>> them.
>
> Oh, I'd like to pass on one suggestion from Karl Fogel for a change in
> the NEWS file.  (I meant to write up a releasing.txt patch but haven't
> got to it yet.)  And that is: many people just upgrade between the
> final releases and the current layout with major headings for each rc
> arguably obscures what changed from 1.12final to 1.13final.  So, Karl
> suggests, we should have just one heading and mark the few things that
> changed after rc1 with "changed after rc1" or "changed in 1.13final"
> or similar.  Any comments?

I've always liked being able to easily see what changed in each release
candidate and the final release, and I imagine users who run release
candidates would agree.

On the other hand, I run bzr.dev, and maybe I just hate change. :-P

-0.5 from me, but if you want to make the change, I wouldn't fight it.