[RFC] commit --fixes xxx: please, store actual bug id in addition to full URL

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Thu Feb 26 22:07:42 GMT 2009

On Thu, 2009-02-26 at 07:45 -0800, Colin D Bennett wrote:

> There are many reasons that a bug tracker URL might change, such as
> changing servers, moving from an intranet host to an Internet host
> with
> a public DNS name, switching bug tracker software, etc.

Of these, the former requires updating the url->short name map, and the
latter requires *a complete rewrite of all bug data* in the general
case.

> By storing both (1) bug ID and (2) bug tracker ID in a revision with
> '--fixes', and keeping a map of "bug tracker ID" -> URL in the
> branch, multiple bug trackers can be supported (not common, but
> possible if there's a public bug tracker and an internal bug tracker
> for
> developers?  or multiple components in one branch, etc.).

If you have a mapping in the branch, you can just use that mapping
*today*, no changes needed; Alexanders point is about being able to use
the revision metadata with *no additional input*.

Dealing with changing servers cannot be done without some additional
input (or history rewriting). There is no need to alter the current
system to deal with changing servers if you have the bugtracker
configured in branch.conf; if its not configured in branch.conf you
won't be able to [seamlessly] deal with a changing server. Thus dealing
with changing servers is precisely the same as being able to use the
revision metadata with additional information [beyond the revision
object itself].

Now, if you think that dealing with changing servers is common enough,
we can just make it clear that folk should configure their bugs settings
in branch.conf [and perhaps make that follow branch and push
operations]. That way folk using bzrlib to inspect the branch can get
the short name out easily, and deal with changing servers as well.

-Rob