Demonstration Help.

Colin D Bennett colin at gibibit.com
Fri Feb 20 07:40:30 GMT 2009

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 16:28:46 -0500
Karl Fogel <karl.fogel at canonical.com> wrote:

> Colin D Bennett <colin at gibibit.com> writes:
> > A common idea is that you can keep a shared repository on your local
> > disk where all the branches live.  Branches store revision data and
> > history.  If the branches in the shared repository are “tree-less”,
> > then that means there is no working tree on disk in addition to the
> > actual revision data in the branches.  This is the most space-efficient
> > way to store branches, since having a working tree on disk for every
> > branch is highly wasteful unless you absolutely need it (which is
> > almost never).
> >
> > Then, you can do lightweight checkouts of these branches from the
> > shared repository, which makes a working tree that you can operate on.
> > To make branching cheap and fast, I often use a single main ”work”
> > checkout, which I then use ”bzr switch” to switch between branches that
> > I'm working on.  This is extremely fast since Bazaar then only has to
> > write files in the working tree that differ between the branch you are
> > switching from and the branch you are switching to.  It saves a ton of
> > disk space when you have a lot of branches you work on.
>
> Colin, just to confirm: the scenario you're describing is the same as
>
>    http://bazaar-vcs.org/Scenarios/RepeatedContributions
>
> right?  (And if so, maybe the hint about treeless-ness needs to be added
> to the wiki page, since people can accumulate a lot of different
> branches.)

Yes, it is essentially the same situation, except of course that I am
talking about using treeless branches and adding lightweight checkouts
to the mix.  I wonder if that would make it harder for new users to
comprehend?  It sure is a lot more efficient though, by not having
working trees for all branches.

Regards,
Colin