[qbzr] [RFC] new option in bazaar.conf to specify language for GUI?

Alexander Belchenko bialix at ukr.net
Tue Feb 17 17:37:32 GMT 2009

John Arbash Meinel пишет:
> Alexander Belchenko wrote:
>> Hi developers of GUI front-ends for bzr,
>>
>> I'd like to post this RFC because we have related bug report[1] in QBzr,
>> when user need to use another language settings for UI, different from
>> system settings.
>
> If I remember the bug correctly, the issue is that the user has set
> their LANG to something for some programs, but then wants to *undo*
> their LANG setting elsewhere.

Your description is incorrect.

> I'm not entirely sure that it should be a bzr/qbzr issue.  That said, if
> you have a user you want to make happy, you are certainly allowed to do
> the work.

Many [windows] programs and many other TortoiseXXX tools allow the user to choose
in what language he/she wants to see the interface messages. In most cases
this option uses default system/user settings, but sometimes it's desirable
to have the way to override it.

I don't say the *bzr* itself as console program should support it.
I talk about GUI tools. I talk about sharing the same option between many GUI
tools. Maybe I'm wrong here. I dunno.

> Anyway, I would probably go with "lang", or "gui_lang". "lang" would
> indicate to me that bzr itself should use it, while "gui_lang" would
> only be for GUI's. I'm not sure there is a need for both.

No, there should be only one. gui_lang seems fine.

> Ultimately, as I said before, I don't think it is really bzr's place (or
> qbzr's). But that doesn't mean you can't do it.

Too much negative constructs for 2 sentences. I've lost here.
Of course nobody will think I want to do it if I don't do it in the end.
That's right? ;-)

But if bzr-gtk/TBZr does not interested in such option there is no
object for discussion at all.