[MERGE][RFC] Point out bzr+ssh:// to the user when they use ssh://.

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Tue Feb 17 16:45:19 GMT 2009

On Tue, 2009-02-17 at 10:20 -0600, John Arbash Meinel wrote:
> Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> > The attached patch makes the "unknown protocol" error message a bit more
> > useful, hinting the user about bzr+ssh:// that they most likely want to
> > use.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Jelmer
> >

> Hmm...
>
> What if we just go ahead and register "ssh://" for bzr+ssh?
>
> I know it has been at least briefly mentioned in the past, but I haven't
> seen any real discussion on it.
Personally, I think registering ssh:// is a bad idea for a couple of reasons:

* ssh:// just seems wrong semantically - bzr doesn't talk the ssh
protocol; it talks the bzr protocol *tunneled over ssh*.

* it might cause confusion with sftp://, which also runs on top of ssh

* bzr+ssh:// clearly indicates it's a bzr-specific (bzr-optimized) protocol (as opposed
to e.g. dumb protocols like sftp://)

* it might cause confusion with git+ssh:// and svn+ssh:// (the git
people use ssh://, not git+ssh://).

Cheers,

Jelmer
Jabber: jelmer at jabber.fsfe.org