thought of the day: bzr is making some developers' heads hurt.

Karl Fogel karl.fogel at canonical.com
Wed Feb 11 20:12:24 GMT 2009

Alexander Belchenko <bialix at ukr.net> writes:
> Marius Kruger пишет:
>> Our project is at its end, so we won't fix that now.
>> But I started working on my laptop with everything checked out using scmproj
>> a while ago, and our Technical Lead, also wants to start using that.
>> (BTW, I'm not a svn expert and glad to be. but do you think its possible to
>> do the multicomponent magic of scmproj with svn (without scmproj))
>
> I'm not expert either, but I think kfogel is :-)
> It seems like this magic is builtin in the svn as svn:externals property
> for the directory.

Well, this isn't the svn users@ list, but yes, I think svn:externals is
the way to go here :-).

Regarding your larger point: when a task is inherently complicated, I
guess there won't be any simple way to explain how to do it in bzr (or
in any other system).

But I think we're all agreed that bzr needs to be simple for simple
tasks -- simple to explain, and to use.

To figure out what those tasks are, we've been writing up some
scenarios: http://bazaar-vcs.org/Scenarios

I've already used some of them to produce project-specific instructions:
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs-en/BzrForEmacsDevs#RegularContributors

Eventually, I hope to propose some tweaks to the Bazaar home page to
make it more immediately clear that Bazaar is simple for the simple
cases.  But that will take some careful thought; primary landing pages
have very diverse audiences...

-Karl