Brief article on benchmarks of Python repository with leading DVCSen

Nicholas Allen nicholas.allen at ableton.com
Wed Feb 11 16:47:31 GMT 2009

Paul Moore wrote:
> 2009/2/11 Nicholas Allen <nicholas.allen at ableton.com>:
>
>> I mean all they have to do is *one* extra command (not even for each branch
>> but just once per project):
>>
>> bzr init-repo my-branches
>>
>> Then they just have to branch all there branches below that directory.
>>

> A purely personal comment - it's this second part that's the issue.
> Bazaar is dictating my directory structure, and that's what I dislike.
I think the idea I had of an automatic revision cache would completely
solve this problem. Of course you could make your home directory a
shared repository but that is a bit extreme and not the way Bazaar
recommends to use shared repositories. This also wouldn't help if you
branched a remote location into /tmp either.

I did mention this idea a while ago but can't find the thread now. Not
sure why the Bazaar devs decided not to implement it. I would really
expect it to only be a few lines to implement (although I know nothing
about the Bazaar code base).

Nick