Brief article on benchmarks of Python repository with leading DVCSen

Brendan Simon Brendan at BrendanSimon.com
Wed Feb 11 10:46:51 GMT 2009

Colin D Bennett wrote:
>> Robert Fendt gives a brief update in a series of DVCS comparison
>> articles: timings for various operations in Bazaar, Mercurial, and Git
>> using the Python repository
>> <URL:https://ldn.linuxfoundation.org/blog-entry/dvcs-follow-what-about-managing-python-repository>.
>
> I'm a big fan of Bazaar, but all I can say after reading that is ...
> Wow, git is crazy fast.

Yes, it's hard to look at any of the other benefits of Bazaar or
Mecurial when the performance of git is so impressive :(

I'm new to Bazaar and haven't even tried it out yet, so I don't know
what plans are in place for performance increase.  I know that it has
improved quite a bit since the early days but it still looks extremely
sluggish when compared to git.

It would at least be nice if Bazaar was as fast as Mecurial so that at
least that battle is moot :)

It seems that many projects would prefer to use Bazaar over git or
mecurial, etc, but the performance issue is such a show-stopper.

Anyway, I'm still willing to give Bazaar a go, and hope that it will
keep improving in performance.

Is there an aspiration performance goal on the roadmap?
eg. as fast as git?  half the performance of git?  One tenth the
performance of git?  Keep up with mecurial ???

Cheers, Brendan.