Why does Bazaar download so much data for a small change?

Colin D Bennett colin at gibibit.com
Thu Feb 5 16:06:53 GMT 2009

On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 13:30:03 -0200
"Eduardo O. Padoan" <eduardo.padoan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 5:02 AM, Andrew Cowie
> <andrew at operationaldynamics.com> wrote:
> > To be honest, the real travesty is that things like Ubuntu Intrepid
> > don't have the most recent version of Bazaar in them. Not very
> > supportive of one group of Canonical employees of another group of
> > Canonical employees.
>
> How could Ubuntu, which is realeased every 6 months, come with the
> must recent version of Bazaar, released roughly every month?

I apologize if this is a silly question (Ubuntu isn't my primary Linux
distro (yet)), but isn't that what the nice package manager/update
system is for?  Why can't Ubuntu simply provide an updated bzr package
through the package management system between releases?  Or, does
Ubuntu only do security patches between releases?

I use Gentoo primarily, so I'm not used to concept of OS "releases"; I
just have the latest packages available at any point in time.

Regards,
Colin