[MERGE] Add simple script for checking that all bugs in NEWS are closed in launchpad.

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Mon Feb 2 04:42:23 GMT 2009

On Sun, 2009-02-01 at 23:20 -0500, Aaron Bentley wrote:
> Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> > This patch adds a simple script in tools/ that can check that all bugs
> > that are mentioned in NEWS are actually marked as "Fix Released" in
> > launchpad. It uses the launchpadbugs python module packaged in Ubuntu.
>
> bb:comment
>
> I think this is a great idea, but I'm not sure it belongs in bzr.
>
> This is mostly useful to bzr developers.  Other projects don't
> necessarily use the same NEWS format as bzr does.  For other projects,
> "Fix released" isn't handled the same way as in bzr.
This is why I put it into tools/; since it's useful for people working
 on Bazaar, but not really as something that should be installed by
 Bazaar. I think some of the other files in tools/ fall into the same category.

> It also adds a dependency on launchpadbugs.  There's a tightrope we walk
> between making bzr completely bugtracker-neutral and making it
> completely dependent on Launchpad.  Also, why launchpadbugs instead of
> using launchpadlib?
launchpadlib and launchpadbugs are both not packaged in Debian, but
launchpadlib also has two dependencies (wadlib, httplib2 >= 0.4.0) that
are not packaged in Debian.

I'm happy for this to not be part of bzr itself, it just makes it a bit
harder for other developers to find and use. I don't think putting it
into the "useful devtools" directory would imply making it mandatory to
use, or would mean tighter dependencies to Launchpad.

Cheers,

Jelmer
Jabber: jelmer at jabber.fsfe.org