[PEBKAC] Bzr mixing up branches?

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Mon Feb 2 00:09:41 GMT 2009

Sohail Somani <sohail at worklogassistant.com> writes:

> Maybe we can start from scratch. What I want to do is:
>
>  - Have a central repository
>  - Ability to branch and do development for the next release
>  - Simultaneously maintaining a stable release branch with bug fixes

You may not yet be aware that Bazaar has a very nice (entirely
optional) “centralised workflow” using a checkout model
<URL:http://bazaar-vcs.org/Tutorials/CentralizedWorkflow>.

That allows you to have a remote repository checked out in a local
working tree: your commits are stored in the remote repository.

The revision data is *also* stored locally, so that everything else
about Bazaar's distributed nature continues to work. You can make
local-only branches for (e.g.) temporary changes, without needing to
do anything special.

> Maybe I should not use bzr but I really like the merging capability.

Yes, it's very nice; it's the inspiration for the logo :-)

> I am slowly training myself not to type push/pull but it is still
> quite error-prone for me. I just did it again!

Instead, use a checkout. That way, you use ‘bzr commit’ to commit
remotely-and-locally in one operation, and ‘bzr update’ to get any
changes from the remote repository into the local checkout.

--
 \          “When we talk to God, we're praying. When God talks to us, |
  `\         we're schizophrenic.” —Jane Wagner, via Lily Tomlin, 1985 |