[MERGE] Fix #175520 by implementing a --deep option for log

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Tue Jan 13 22:47:20 GMT 2009

On Tue, 2009-01-13 at 18:41 +0100, Vincent Ladeuil wrote:

> How about abandoning that --old option in favor of a --file-ids
> option which will indicate that the additional arguments are to
> be interpreted as file-ids instead of paths ?

As much as possible I'd like to avoid forcing users to use fileids. It's
like asking a user to put in a inode to 'ls'. It may technically reflect
the implementation but its neither necessary nor useful.

> That way, log remains simpler but once we add the ability to
> handle several parameters, we can still obtain the --old behavior
> by specifying the file-ids of interest (obtained from bzr search,
> or any other mean).

Well I don't think looking at multiple paths is the /actual/ use case
here, is it? I understood the key thing was logging paths that no longer
exist, which a revision-to-lookup-in + PATH is sufficient to accomplish.
I'm not denying the utility of what you've written, but lets remember
the end we're aiming for.

> My current feeling is that there are too many use cases for log
> and trying to address them all in the command itself will never
> succeeds (or ends up with a monster nobody will ever master).

Totally agree - thats what my comment about log being a bad vehicle for
arbitrary queries is about.

-Rob