[MERGE] Fix for 306394: warning, not error, on non-existent file.

Karl Fogel karl.fogel at canonical.com
Wed Jan 7 05:33:00 GMT 2009

Aaron Bentley <aaron at aaronbentley.com> writes:
> Okay, but remember that I don't want any change like this.  I was just
> pointing out an inconsistency I perceived between your statement that
> non-existence is a status and the patch you supplied.

Yes, I know.  I've done a rough headcount and concluded that more people
favor the change, but I could try to quantify that precisely if you have
a different impression.  (I'm not sure what the decision-making process
is when there is disagreement here anyway, so feel free to clue me in.)

>>    1) Redo the patch so the message goes to stdout and matches existing
>>       output styles,  -OR-
>>
>>    2) Redo the patch so that non-existent files are silently skipped.
>
> I dislike 1, because I like the current behaviour.
>
> I am strongly opposed to 2.  I don't want to fail to do what the user
> asked and not even tell the user about the failure.

Sounds like we're going to have (1) or no change.  As you know, I prefer
(1) to the status quo, and will submit a bundle for it unless it's clear
that it won't be accepted into mainline.  Currently it seems to me it
will be, but again, correct me if I'm wrong...

By the way, over on the Emacs list, it seems that those who thought this
was a blocker to adoption are not saying that anymore.  *shrug* I'm not
going to raise it again -- I want to see Emacs switch now :-), and there
is momentum in that direction [1].  (However, still much prefer behavior
(1) to the status quo.)

-Karl

[1] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2009-01/msg00188.html