Recommended use of Bazaar for single-committer multiple-machine projects?

Adrian Wilkins adrian.wilkins at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 10:06:34 GMT 2008

I tend to use heavyweight checkouts bound to a no-trees repository that I carry
around on a USB flash drive. I carry the thumb around with me, a swift `bzr up`
is enough to keep any given branch up to date, commits are automatically pushed
to the thumb, hence available offline as well as online, every workstation that
updates from it serves as a full backup of any branch that was used on it, I can
create new experimental branches and switch to them at will.

I think this method might reduce your offline-commit-merge-pain a little, since
you are effectively carrying your server around with you, there are no offline
commits. Carefully ensuring that you commit before you walk away from a given
machine with your thumb should ensure that when you return the resulting update
is painless.

This all worked very nicely until our paranoid upper echelons decided that being
able to write data to removable media was too much of a security risk, so now I
will have to invest a little thought, but I think I'll end up running a server
on my laptop.