Create a new branch from a newly imported svn repository ?

Colin D Bennett colin at gibibit.com
Wed Dec 10 23:53:45 GMT 2008

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 20:27:13 +0100
"Baptiste Lepilleur" <blep at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> bzr-svn sounded very complex since I just wanted a simple conversion
> of a CVS repository to a Bazaar one, required some specific
       ^^^
       Do you mean 'SVN'?

> repository format I couldn't make sense of (what were the drawback
> coming with it?). So I picked bzr-fast-import as it sounded (and was
> if I remember correctly) simple to use.

Actually, I find bzr-svn really trivial to use.  Simply install the
plugin (I'm using a checkout of
<http://people.samba.org/bzr/jelmer/bzr-svn/0.4/> into
$HOME/.bazaar/plugins/svn).

Then you can simply do things like:

  bzr co svn://something.com/foo/trunk foo

to do a full (with all history) checkout of an svn branch, or

  mkdir repo
  cd repo
  bzr init-repo --1.9-rich-root --no-trees
  bzr svn-import http://svn.something.com/svn/project .

to import a whole svn repository (multiple branches).

I find bzr-svn really useful and simple to use.  It's pretty slow the
first time you access a large svn repo, but one it has cached all the
info it needs, it's fast and works great.

Regards,
Colin