help on failing commits

David Ingamells david.ingamells at mapscape.eu
Tue Oct 28 06:52:17 GMT 2008

I've seen similar things, e.g. on a branch command (file://...):

bzr: ERROR: No such file:
u'/home/CmsRoot/repos/CVTOOL/.bzr/repository/packs/8fa9827c9d45ad9c669af9896d065b20.pack':
[Errno 2] No such file or directory:
u'/home/CmsRoot/repos/CVTOOL/.bzr/repository/packs/8fa9827c9d45ad9c669af9896d065b20.pack'

or

bzr: ERROR: No such file:
u'/home/CmsRoot/repos/CVTOOL/.bzr/repository/indices/e61b1272edcb74b8994bd8d1a849b355.tix':
[Errno 2] No such file or directory:
u'/home/CmsRoot/repos/CVTOOL/.bzr/repository/indices/e61b1272edcb74b8994bd8d1a849b355.tix'

A re-run has always worked so far. My suspicion is that while the failed
command was not itself going over a network it is still network
performance related, as it is likely that other users were concurrently
doing bzr commands using the same repository via bzr+ssh://, and it most
often occurs at times of heavy network load. if my suspicion is true it
will be a difficult one to reliably reproduce :-(

Possibly somewhere in bzr there is a timeout that is too short, and the
caller thinks that a timeout means that the file is not present.

We get it less often now (but still once yesterday and once last week
that I know of) as I have been doing lots of things to reduce the
network load, and bzr1.6.1 is much more efficient in its network usage
than earlier versions.