‘bzr shell’ has different terminal encoding from ‘bzr’

Ben Finney ben at benfinney.id.au
Tue Oct 21 13:59:28 BST 2008

Howdy all,

=====
$ bzr shell
bzr foo:11/> commit --message "Clean compiled bytecode files in ‘clean’ target."
Unhandled error:
'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xe2 in position 33: ordinal not in range(128)

$ bzr commit --message "Clean compiled bytecode files in ‘clean’ target."
Committing to: /home/bignose/Projects/foo/
modified debian/changelog
modified debian/rules
Committed revision 12.
=====

Apparently ‘bzr shell’ has got the wrong codec somehow: it is wrongly
using the 'ascii' codec and thus fails with UTF-8 characters, while
the same characters directly from the shell (in the same terminal
session) to a ‘bzr commit’ work fine.

--
 \     “I thought I'd begin by reading a poem by Shakespeare, but then |
  `\     I thought ‘Why should I? He never reads any of mine.’” —Spike |