A not so idle thought (multiple branch URLs)

Scott Scriven bzr at toykeeper.net
Sat Oct 18 17:00:13 BST 2008

* Russel Winder <russel.winder at concertant.com> wrote:
> > >  Should branches have more than one push branch recorded?
> >
> > IMO, it should, and it's in my todo list for QBzr.
>
> I guess this is two votes for having it in Bazaar core?

This is related:  (per-branch / per-repo bookmarks)

  https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr-bookmarks/+bug/254936

I really like how hg handles this, allowing an unlimited set of
repo-specific named URLs which work for any operation.  It's easy
to work with multiple remote repositories or branch locations,
but I haven't found a simple way to do something similar in bzr.
The end result would be something like:

  cd myproject
  bzr pull
  hack, hack, hack
  bzr commit
  bzr push svn
  bzr push lp
  bzr push backup

The same sort of thing is also useful for pulling in hg:

  cd myproject
  hg pull alice
  hg pull bob
  hg pull chris

That doesn't work in bzr, though, since it only has one head per
branch.  Instead, it would be...

  cd myproject/alice ; bzr pull
  cd ../bob ; bzr pull
  cd ../chris ; bzr pull

And that's fine.  It's more typing, but it seems like an easier
model most of the time.  Multiple URLs mostly seem useful for
pushing.

-- Scott