JIRA plugin for bazaar ?

Thomas Manson dev.mansonthomas at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 12:42:09 BST 2008

> I truly wish you the best in your efforts; however, I can't see the
> gain in enabling a non-free BTS, any more than I can see the gain in
> enabling a non-free DVCS. I prefer instead to promote and support free
> software tools and to hasten the demise of software that fails to
> respect users's freedom.

This ( the 'only open source thing') sound a bit extremist to me.
Bazaar would gain a lot by supporting Jira because Jira is popular and
widely used, in an open source mode or not and that it's already deployed in
many companie, such as mine and some of my clients.
If cvs would have been narrowed down to only open source project, the
industry wouldn't have used it so widely.

> Are the lessons of BitKeeper, which for a long time had a "special
> license for open source projects", that so famously imploded and
> required the hurried implementation of Git, so quickly forgotten?

I don't know the story but nothing proove that atlassian would go the same.
If Atlassasian licence scheme change or become unbearable for some, one can
change to another BTS and keep Bazaar (which would have some much
integration with all existing BTS that it would be an issue)
Every body doesn't do only open source, that a fact that is not going to
change any time soon.
you can dream about it, but facing the actual reality is probably a better
appraoch.

And take my case as an example :

I love open sources products, and i'm contributing.
On my free time, I test some products, I found it great, I include them in
my company projects, and now all the engineers of my company now it, use it
and even like it and spread the word.

This has been done for many open source project (by me and other tech lead),
for jira which is really great, and maybe for bazaar.
Because behind my little search now, I trying to find a replacement for our
CVS repo which holds more than a hundred projects, closed source.

What if I dediced to use Bazaar over GIT/Mercurial : then a lot of people
will know it, use it, spread it.
But there's a Jira lack in Bazaar while Mercurial has a Jira support.

Who is likely to win ?