Introducing Shelf 2

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Thu Oct 9 23:01:56 BST 2008

Jelmer Vernooij <jelmer at samba.org> writes:

> I notice it still uses a separate directory (.shelf2) to store the
> shelves. Would it perhaps make sense to store them in the .bzr directory
> (as .bzr/shelf2 or .bzr/checkout/shelf2)?

Better, I'd prefer if the version number was inside a metadata file,
not encoded in the directory name.

That is, the directory could still be named ‘shelf/’ or ‘.bzr/shelf/’,
but the format version would be written inside a metadata file
‘shelf/shelf-format’.

> This avoids a hack to update the global ignores to ignore it and
> also makes it easier for other code to skip bzr-related files. Now
> seems like a good moment to change this sort of thing.

Likewise.

> fwiw, I wouldn't mind seeing shelf in bzr.dev.

Yes, I find Shelf very handy and am glad to see this work. Thanks,
Aaron!

--
 \        “I hate it when my foot falls asleep during the day, because |
  `\            that means it's gonna be up all night.” —Steven Wright |