Recent update to bzr.dev is a blocker

Russel Winder russel.winder at concertant.com
Thu Sep 11 12:00:00 BST 2008

Marius,

On Thu, 2008-09-11 at 09:27 +0200, Marius Kruger wrote:

> The plugin developers are usually pretty quick. I haven't had this
> problem for quite some time now.

On the one hand bzr.dev and all the plugins are separate entities so it
is everyone for themselves.  On the other hand bzr.dev and the plugins
form a system.  Where a plugin chooses (for whatever reason) to depend
on a certain version of bzr.dev then clearly it is up to the plugin
people to watch changes in bzr.dev and react accordingly.  However, it
really ought to be announced that a change in bzr.dev numbering is about
to take place so that plugin people can react as needed.

For myself I would say that bzr.dev and all the trunks/mainlines of all
the plugins should be treated as a single system that needs to be self
consistent at all times

> One possibility I think might work is to always depend on one release
> ahead of time and hope
> api's are depricated properly  i.e. when rc1.7 comes out, bzr-tools
> should be updated to
> allow 1.8 . Then there is always an overlapping support period.
> To remember to do this you can maybe add a test to the plugins to warn
> if you are not
> allowing one release into the future.

I guess there must be some flexibility already build in as bzr-svn
depended on bzr 1.6 and yet there was no complaint until the bzr.dev
number went from 1.7 to 1.8.

I agree though that as with the deprecation warnings having version
mismatch warnings for development versions that are removed for
distribution versions might be a good move.

> this might not be practical, but just a thought..

The current situation where a one character change in bzr.dev can stop
an entire Bazaar installation from working is not practical.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder                 Partner

Concertant LLP                   t: +44 20 7585 2200, +44 20 7193 9203
41 Buckmaster Road,              f: +44 8700 516 084
London SW11 1EN, UK.             m: +44 7770 465 077