how to prevent bzr+ssh from asking a password each time I commit a change?

Vincent Ladeuil v.ladeuil+lp at free.fr
Tue Sep 9 15:59:01 BST 2008

    Andrew> On Mon, 2008-09-08 at 22:56 -0500, Rahul Nabar wrote:
    >> While using bzr+ssh: it asks me for a password each time

    Andrew> Being asked for a password or passphrase is SSH's
    Andrew> business;

Correct. authentication.conf aims to provide the same
comfort. But, 1) it doesn't *save* any credentials *yet*, because
I'd like to delegate that to gnome-keyring, OSX's Keychain and
the like and 2) it doesn't try to replace an ssh-agent, it's more
targeted at other schemes (http, ftp, etc).

But I don't think trying to do it for ssh is a good
idea. Password handling is highly sensitive, using dedicated apps
(small ones, well audited) is IMHO the way to go. And for ssh,
the way to go exists: ssh-agent.

    Andrew> if you don't want to be challenged constantly you
    Andrew> need to arrange that your public key is authorized to
    Andrew> access the remote account and to have an `ssh-agent`
    Andrew> running to hold the passphrase locally.

    Andrew> I'm sure someone else here or in #bzr can point you
    Andrew> to a good OpenSSH tutorial if you don't know about
    Andrew> using ssh keys instead of passwords.

I'm pretty sure that all I needed to set it up the first time
was:
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ssh-agent

    >> Is it possible to change this behaviour by only pushing
    >> changes to the remote server at intervals and only then
    >> ask for a password?

If you're prompted for your password, more than once, in a
*single* brz command, that's a bug, please file one describing
the command you were using and your setup.

    Vincent