[MERGE] Packaging updates

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Thu Aug 28 21:29:57 BST 2008

Jelmer Vernooij wrote:

> That's correct, bzr-$DEB_VERSION.orig.tar.gz is the policy-defined name
> for a source tarball in Debian. Instead of relying on bzr builddeb
> downloading it from lp, you should also be able to place a
> bzr-$DEB_VERSION.orig.tar.gz in ../tarballs. It should use that instead
> if it finds it.

Sure, I just found it odd that I couldn't put "bzr-$VERSION-RC.tar.gz" (which
is what I created) into "../tarballs" and have it use it. Instead it finds the
remote one, and downloads it with a different name.

> This doesn't mention any of the plugins also present in the bzr PPA -
> should the upload process for those be documented as well?

It should, but ATM none of them are streamlined as well. It does touch on
bzrtools a little bit, but not really enough to make packaging *easy*.

> For consistency's sake, would it perhaps be useful to use
> ~bzr/bzr/ppa-hardy rather than ~bzr/bzr/packaging-hardy ?

Actually, this is something I was looking into for packaging bzr-svn, and
wondered what you thought.

Specifically, for gutsy, hardy, intrepid (and feisty) we actually need exactly
the same sources. We just need to set the "~$DISTRO1" in each one. And it
turns out that ~gutsy1 < ~hardy1 ....
So I wondered about having a single packaging dir, and doing:

for DISTRO in gutsy, hardy, intrepid:
  dch -v $PPAVERSION -D $DISTRO -c changelog 'New upstream release.'
  bzr commit -m "New upstream release $PPAVERSION"

It worked for bzr-svn at least, and it made things easier when I was doing it
manually, because I didn't have to keep changing directory, etc.

It also seemed to make sense to keep the branches as synchronized as possible.

Note: I have very little background in packaging, so I don't have a good feel
for right/wrong when it comes to this sort of thing. I can understand that
*if* each distro needed a set of customizations, it would be nice to have 1
branch for each. But since they *don't*, I don't really see why it is necessary.