[MERGE] Packaging updates

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at vernstok.nl
Thu Aug 28 03:37:15 BST 2008

Am Montag, den 25.08.2008, 18:20 -0500 schrieb John Arbash Meinel:
> Thanks to Lukáš and Martin for helping me streamline the packaging process. I
> put together the various scripts and documentation in the attached patch.
>
> Basically, the idea is to make the lives of release managers a bit easier. And
> I'm happy to say that with bzr-builddeb and the attached scripts, it really
> only takes about 10-20 minutes to build all the .deb files and upload them.
> You still have the time it takes to make a release update, commit it, submit
> it to pqm, and then come back and update to the official tip before you can
> make the tarball.
>
> Also, bzr-builddeb assumes that you've uploaded the tarball to Launchpad, and
> then downloads it to a different name. Which is a little bit odd. It puts the
> tarball as ../bzr-$DEB_VERSION.orig.tar.gz, even though it downloads
> https://launchpad.net/bzr/$VERSION/$VERSION-RC/bzr-$VERSION-RC.tar.gz.
That's correct, bzr-$DEB_VERSION.orig.tar.gz is the policy-defined name
for a source tarball in Debian. Instead of relying on bzr builddeb
downloading it from lp, you should also be able to place a
bzr-$DEB_VERSION.orig.tar.gz in ../tarballs. It should use that instead
if it finds it.

> Anyway, it works, people seem to say that the deb files generated are
> "proper", and I used it for the 1.6 release and plan on using it for the 1.7.
> So I'd like to get this merged so whoever is the 1.8 manager has the same
> tools I was lucky enough to get.
>
> I'm open to suggestions if people can think of ways to make it better. We
> *could* make the whole thing scripted, but I felt that might be brittle in the
> case that one of the steps fails.
bb:approve

This doesn't mention any of the plugins also present in the bzr PPA -
should the upload process for those be documented as well?

For consistency's sake, would it perhaps be useful to use
~bzr/bzr/ppa-hardy rather than ~bzr/bzr/packaging-hardy ?

Cheers,

Jelmer