Lost the work of a month? :(

James Westby jw+debian at jameswestby.net
Thu Aug 28 13:01:48 BST 2008

On Thu, 2008-08-28 at 13:47 +0200, Juan Pedro Bolivar Puente wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am working on a (solo) project and I used bind so commits are
> automatically commited to the project hosting.
>
> This summer I have been working away so I have done many commits using
> --local. Today, I decided to commit those changes to the main branch, so
> I did:
>
> $ bzr update.
>
> As there were new changes not committed locally a merge was done.
> Without reading the docs, I tried to undo that step by doing
>
> $ bzr revert
>
> What happened was that all my changes commited using --local
> disappeared, which means that I have lost my work of weeks...
>
> Please, is there any way to reload my local commits? I've lost my work
> of a month, I'm getting mad...

Don't panic, they are not gone, just hidden. The easiest way to
get them back is to use the "heads" command from bzrtools.

  bzr heads --dead-only

should list the tip revision that you lost, something
like

  HEAD: revision-id: \
   jw+debian at jameswestby.net-20080125165417-9ddg56njwv6venrq (dead)

with the details underneath.

You can then run "bzr pull --overwrite -rrevid:foo .", where foo
is the revision-id from the above, to get back to where you were
before. You could "bzr merge" it instead if you wanted to get
back to the point after the "bzr update".

Thanks,

James