OS X tests status update

Vincent Ladeuil v.ladeuil+lp at free.fr
Tue Aug 26 15:47:37 BST 2008

    john> Vincent Ladeuil wrote:

    Guillermo> indeed..
    Guillermo> after a little google search[1], I learned that by default HFS+ is
    Guillermo> case-preserving AND case-insensitive.
    >>
    >> case-preserving implies case-insensitive

    john> Not really, Linux is case-preserving as well.

:-)

Indeed, because case-sensitive > case-preserving > case-insensitive
 (for some value of '>', 'implies' not being one).

    john> It never changes the case of my files. The only system
    john> I've known to be case-insensitive because it was
    john> non-case preserving was the old dos days. When you
    john> *had* to name your files FOO.TXT because it only
    john> supported capital letters.

At one point windows was Capitalizing files (in Explorer)
whatever the name you gave them.

    john> ...

    Guillermo> So, I wondering if we should to teach bazaar this
    Guillermo> special OS X/HFS+ behaviour or we can reuse some
    Guillermo> of the win32 fs magic?
    >>
    >> Reusing the win32 fs magic was the intent of
    >> CaseInsensitiveFilesystemFeature.
    >>
    >> Since the tests are currently failing, I think we should try
    >> harder.

    john> Yeah, Aaron already had written the code to detect
    john> case-insensitive with basically a
    john> stat(.bzr/checkout/FoRmAT). If that succeeds, we know
    john> it is case insensitive.  We probably just need to use
    john> the flag (as you've seen).

Indeed. And thanks to TDD, when you have failing tests...

<snip/>

    john> I strictly don't care to support a DOS filesystem that
    john> changes filenames from "foo" => "FOO" on
    john> creation. Aside from that, I'm pretty sure all
    john> case-insensitive FS's in play are case-preserving.

Me too :)

   Vincent