Can we get a recursive log?

Talden talden at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 21:58:58 BST 2008

>> | I regularly use "bzr log" to see recent revisions and "bzr log
>> | somefile" to see revisions in which that file has changed.
>> |
>> | However in Subversion I also regularly do "svn log somedirectory" to
>> | see in which revisions that directory _or_it's_contents_ were changed.
>> |
>> | Getting this 'recursive log' is non-obvious to me in Bazaar.  Is there
>> | a straight-forward means to listing all the revisions in which changes
>> | were made to any file or directory under 'somedirectory'?

> It would be possible, but computationally expensive with the current
> recorded data.

On the upside, it's not just me doing a virtual demonstration of
domestic blindness - the feature's actually missing.

On the downside, the feature's actually missing.

Computationally expensive or not, it is massively useful - I guess
I'll have to go learn python and the Bazaar code-base to see what I
can do - Though that's not happening any time soon (first child on the
way means little time for additional, or indeed existing,
extra-curricular activity for a while).

> So the way to do it now, is to compute the changes between each revision
> and its parent, and see if anything involving the given directory or
> anything underneath it is effected.
>
> The code could be cribbed from the 'bzr log -v' which does compute the
> delta for each revision.

Well certainly "bzr log -v" gets the list of affected paths and you
can scan this looking for common prefixes on modified paths so it's
certainly doable from the output of that - it would be nice but not
critical to be more cheaply computable.

Thanks for the feedback.

--
Talden