[MERGE] make 'push' default to parent branch

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Wed Jul 30 08:02:54 BST 2008

On Wed, 2008-07-30 at 07:55 +0100, Russel Winder wrote:
> Robert,
>
> On Wed, 2008-07-30 at 08:54 +1000, Robert Collins wrote:
> [ . . . ]
> > I think most folk with no relevant experience will be contributing to an
> > existing project (its much harder to start a new project than bugfix an
> > existing one); few projects allow $random to push directly into their
> > branches, so I don't think its a reasonable default for that case.
>
> I have to agree with Ben and Scott here, generally people will find it
> easier to get started with a system like Bazaar (or Mercurial, Git,
> Subversion (!), etc.)  by starting with "bzr init flobadob" (or the
> equivalent).

Well the example I was responding to was for folk that have *not used
any VCS*. I certainly agree that many folk start new projects rather
than hacking on existing ones because they *think* its easier. (I think
they are fooling themselves :P). But I really do think that folk that
encounter a VCS for the *first time* on their *own new project* are a
pretty small subset of users. The developers I know that don't use VCS
tools on their own projects generally don't start using one until they
are catalysed either by encountering another projects development
process, or a conference talk...

There are many more projects to encounter a VCS on than there are talks
happening daily.

> [ . . . ]
> > You can even do:
> >  bzr branch foo bar
> >  cd bzr
> >  bzr push :pull
> >
> > to trivally set it up.
>
> Is this last one right?  Scott proposes:
>
> 	bzr push :parent
>
> which introduces something I hadn't spotted -- either :pull
> or :parent.
> Or perhaps this is a new proposed feature not yet available?  I guess
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr/+bug/252894 relates.

:parent works in bzr.dev.

-Rob