creating bzr-svn binaries on Windows

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Mon Jul 28 00:43:40 BST 2008

Hi Adrian,

> Instead, I'm using
>
>  * The SVN 1.4.6 win32 developers pack (building SVN on win32 is
> renowned as being excessively painful).
>  * Microsoft Visual C++ 2003 Toolkit (which was available "freebeer"
> from MS at one time, contains an optimizing compiler but is only
> available off-site of microsoft.com).
>  * The SDK libs and includes that come with that.
>
> In addition, Jelmer has had to remove some C99-isms from the code
> (already in the history) ; MSVC 7.1 doesn't support them, and neither
> does GCC 3.4 (which is the newest stable version of mingw gcc).
>
> Further (!), I've had to make a lot of changes to setup.py because the
> MS linker is a lot more picky and wants to know all the dependencies in
> the hierarchy, not just the ones necessary for linking the top level.
> I'm not sure if this is just config.
>
> Of more concern is the fact that they just don't pass the tests. I
> didn't have the time to do much more work, alas, but it certainly needs
> doing.

Thanks for the information.  At this stage, I'm not sure how to get started
building the extension modules - the first thing setup.py tries to do is to
execute 'apr-config', then it uses *nix specific code to check the success
or otherwise of that tool.

Is that step unnecessary?  I'm fairly familiar with MSVC and building python
extensions, but not with the SVN API, so I'm not sure what is necessary on
Windows and what isn't.  I'll experiment a little today and let you know if
I have any success...

Thanks,

Mark