question on : "Team collaboration, distributed style" workflow

Daniel Watkins daniel at daniel-watkins.co.uk
Sun Jul 27 18:20:51 BST 2008

Hi Nico,

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 19:02:46 +0200
nico <nbd at free.fr> wrote:
> > This can be confusing initially.  Merges aren't automatically
> > committed, because there may be conflicts between the source branch
> > and the target branch which need to be resolved.  This is also the
> > reason for having a separate commit for the merge, so that every
> > changed line of code belongs to a specific revision.
> >
> > It might make more sense if you consider the case where you have
> > done more than a single commit on the branch you are merging from,
> > so the merge commit message won't necessarily be identical to that
> > of the tip of the branch you are merging from.
> >
> Thanks a lot for your clarifications.
> In your opinion, If I wan't to link to a bug (i.e. --fixes option on
> commit), I have to do that on the first commit (i.e the commit who are
> identified to solve the bug ? ) or in the second commit (i.e. after
> the merge and before the push on the launchpad branch) ?
As far as I'm aware, either will function the same, though it probably
makes more sense to do it on the commit that actually fixes the bug.

> PS : why you don not publish your response to the mailing list ? Is my
> question doesn't on the mailing list discussion area ?
If you examine the headers of the email, I CC'd the list (as I'm doing
on this email), so it will have received a copy of my emails.

Regards,
--
Daniel Watkins (Odd_Bloke)