[MERGE] whitespace normalization

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Fri Jul 25 08:18:17 BST 2008

"Marius Kruger" <amanic at gmail.com> writes:

> I also convinced my IDE (eclipse) to show the trailing whitespace
> clearly, so I can clean up as I go.

It doesn't seem foolish or wasteful to expect developers to manually
"clean up as I go"? To forbid (by rejection at commit time)
automatically fixing whitespace problems throughout the entire file
when it's saved?

Surely such a trivially-automatable task should be automated as a
matter of course, rather than left to the vagaries of "clean up as I
go".

--
 \     “Don't be afraid of missing opportunities. Behind every failure |
  `\         is an opportunity somebody wishes they had missed.” —Jane |