[MERGE] whitespace normalization

Ian Clatworthy ian.clatworthy at canonical.com
Fri Jul 25 00:00:56 BST 2008

Benjamin Peterson wrote:
> I ran reindent.py (from the main Python distribution) on all the Bazaar
> sources. The resulting bundle was too large for the list so please see
> the public branch at
> http://code.launchpad.net/~musiccomposition/bzr/reindent
> <http://code.launchpad.net/%7Emusiccomposition/bzr/reindent>

I see that Aaron has rejected this on the basis that it introduces
spurious conflicts. I understand his point.

I'm not sure tuning indents is all that necessary/useful. I read
lots of Bazaar's code while reviewing and I actually think humans
do a better job of deciding where to break lines myself.

OTOH, I would support and approve one or more patches that stripped
trailing whitespace off lines. It's off absolutely no value IMO and
ought to go. I actually started putting together a patch to do this
months ago but it was huge - there's lot of this cruft in there.

Ian C.