[MERGE] Fast _walkdirs for win32

Ian Clatworthy ian.clatworthy at canonical.com
Thu Jul 17 06:56:29 BST 2008

John Arbash Meinel wrote:

> With this patch, doing 'bzr status' in a mysql tree on Win32 changes
> from: 4.2s => 0.64s, or about 6.5x faster. It is quite noticeable when
> your command prompt hangs for 4s versus returning in < 1s.

Hmm. Modest improvements like this really ought to be mentioned in NEWS,
don't you think? :-)

> +    if (sys.platform == 'win32'):

You don't need the () here.

> +    if (fs_encoding not in ('UTF-8', 'US-ASCII', 'ANSI_X3.4-1968')): # ascii

Ditto.

Please ping others (spiv and/or markh say) familiar with pyrex and
the win32 API used to review the code in bzrlib/_walkdirs_win32.pyx.
The rest is fine, assuming we only need to handle files and dirs at
this level. (I gather symlinks and tree references are handled higher
up the stack.)

bb: comment

(This is actually a tweak vote assuming someone else reviews the pyx
file as mentioned. I'm making it 'comment' so BB doesn't take it off
the queue for other reviewers just yet.)

Ian C.